[R] Message produced under R 3.6.0.

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Tue Apr 30 03:09:29 CEST 2019

On 30/04/19 12:01 PM, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I suspect that this entry from news() for 3.6.0 is relevant:
>
> "When loading namespaces, S3 method registrations which overwrite
> previous registrations are now noted by default (using
> packageStartupMessage())."
>

> Always a good idea to read the NEWS file with a x.y point release.
> Peter usually includes it in his release announcement e-mail:
>
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2019-April/462510.html

OK.  This seems to be the issue.  Basically I guess I could just ignore
the messages --- but I'd really rather not see them.

The news() says they are printed by "default".  How can I move away from
the default?

I presume that I need to invoke the suppressPackageStartupMessages()
function, but it is not at all clear to me just how I should do this.

Perhaps I should put a call to this function in a *.R file
(e.g. "First.R") in my R directory.

I've experimented with various ideas; none so far have worked.  The
function suppressPackageStartupMessages() takes an argument "expr".  It
is not clear what "expr" should be in this context.

Perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree.

Any advice?

cheers,

Rolf