[R] date

David Stevens d@v|d@@teven@ @end|ng |rom u@u@edu
Thu Dec 19 20:24:14 CET 2019

Val

Another all-base R solution:

as.Date(strptime(gs$date,format="%m/%d/%y"))

or if you want to add a time field later

as.POSIXct(strptime(gs$date,format="%m/%d/%y")))

since strptime produces a list version of the date: class is POSIXt and the subclass is POSIXlt, that can be convenient for extracting elements like month, day of the year, minute, etc. The actual date/time information is returned as the number of seconds since 1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC but the representation is as in your gs.d1 below.

It can be a bit tricky when daylight savings time comes into play but that's for another post.

David