[R] encountered errors while installing additional packages

Sat Jul 13 19:17:23 CEST 2019

This is a mailing list, not a web forum. The only way to "mark it as solved" is to send another message that indicates that, preferably with a usable summary of how you resolved it.

I am not sure what your point of comparison is for declaring incompatibilities is, but R _is_ a CLI program. An IDE like RStudio is normally interacting with the CLI for you so there are very few things that work differently between GUI and CLI (packages is not one of them, things like View and help are).

Best results are usually obtained on Ubuntu derivatives by following the instructions for the nearest Ubuntu version on CRAN [1]. There is also a mailing list for debian derivatives r-sig-debian. Once base R is working, always manage your package libraries as an individual user unless you really know what you are doing (don't use sudo for R packages).

Note that each minor version of R (x.y) gets its own set of packages, and complex package interdependencies such as tidyverse seem to break unless you get all of the dependencies installed in order. Some of those dependencies have system requirements that have to be installed with apt, so sometimes one has to install packages one at a time and read the CRAN package descriptions to get them working. Tidyverse can also be brittle under older versions of R, so the standard Mint packages may not be new enough depending on which packages you need to use.

[1] https://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README.html