[R] A general question about using Bayes' Theorem for calculating the probability of The End of Human Technological Civilisation

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Tue Mar 19 19:43:35 CET 2019

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 2:06 PM, Evan Cooch <evan.cooch using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just curious -- if R-help is a moderated list (which  in theory , it is -- my posts have been 'modertated', to the degree that they aren't released to the list until someone approves them), and if these 'statistics discussion' questions are inappropriate to the mission (as described), then...why isn't the 'moderator' (him/her/they) blocking on submission?
>
> On 3/19/2019 1:59 PM, David Winsemius wrote:
>> Rhelp is not a forum for discussions of statistics. Instead it is for persons who have specific questions about the use of R.
>>
>> Please read the list info page where you started the subscription process. And do read the Posting Guide. Both these are linked at the bottom of this response.
>>
>> There are Web accessible forums that are set up to statistics.

Evan,

While I cannot speak for the R-Help moderators, which is a 'larger' group, I am a co-moderator for R-Devel.

The initial moderation occurs when someone who has not subscribed to the list sends a post. The list software captures the post and sends the moderators a notification that there is a post from a non-subscriber requiring manual review.

If the post is not relevant to the specific R list and should be sent to another R list, where it is better suited given the focus of the topic, the post will be rejected and the poster informed of the reason. If it is not truly R related, per se, then a recommendation to send the post to StackExchange or similar will be send back to the poster, with a rejection of the post.

Once a sender's e-mail account has been approved to post, which generally means that they have both subscribed to the list in question and have sent at least one relevant post to the list, future posts are typically no longer moderated.

It is possible that once in a while, a moderator will miss something in the post content and approve it going to the list, but that should be a rare event.

A search of the R-Help archives suggests that Philip has posted previously, going to back at least 2011, which is likely why this particular post managed to not be moderated.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz