[R] plot.xmean.ordinaly vs plot() in package "rms"

Kim Jacobsen k|m@j@cob@en @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Mar 19 23:29:11 CET 2019

Mailing list now included (apologies, first time I post anything so not
quite sure how it works).

You are quite right, it was a typo. I meant to write that
plot.xmean.ordinaly(). So please let me correct my last statement: the
plot.xmean.ordinaly() command and plot() command are interchangeable as
long as x is an object x of class "xmean.ordinaly", and
plot.xmean.ordinaly() is best used if the object is not of class
"xmean.ordinaly" or if you are unsure what class it it. Is this a correct
encapsulation?

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 at 14:38, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil using dcn.davis.ca.us>
wrote:

> Please keep the mailing list included in the thread.
>
> I can't tell if you do understand and are just being sloppy, or if you are
> completely confused, because xmean.ordinaly() and plot.xmean.ordinaly() are
> two completely different symbols in R.
>
> As for being "safe"... you may choose to be specific or not, but plot and
> plot.xmean.ordinaly are both equally "safe" to call, and being too specific
> can cause problems sometimes as well.
>
> On March 17, 2019 6:40:10 AM PDT, Kim Jacobsen <kimsjacobsen using gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Dear Jeff,
> >
> >Thank you so much! So if I understand the S3 object documents
> >correctly,
> >the xmean.ordinaly() command and plot() command are interchangeable as
> >long
> >as x is an object x of class "xmean.ordinaly"? So would I be right to
> >think
> >that I might as well just xmean.ordinaly() to be safe?
> >
> >Many thanks,
> >

> >On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 at 02:08, Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil using dcn.davis.ca.us>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Read up on S3 object orientation[1]. If you have an object x of class
> >> "xmean.ordinaly" then writing
> >>
> >> plot(x)
> >>
> >> will end up invoking the plot.xmean.ordinaly function rather than the
> >> plot.default function in base graphics. This is broadly true
> >throughout R.
> >>
> >> [1] http://adv-r.had.co.nz/S3.html
> >>
> >> On March 16, 2019 11:03:06 AM PDT, Kim Jacobsen
> ><kimsjacobsen using gmail.com>
> >purposes

> >> --
> >> Sent from my phone. Please excuse my brevity.
> >>

> --

Kim Solve Jacobsen
PhD candidate, Wildlife Conservation Research Unit
University of Oxford
Recanati-Kaplan Centre
OX13 5QL Oxford, UK

[image: Image result for oxford logo]