[R] Help with R coding

Wed May 22 16:06:28 CEST 2019

Generally more efficient to filter before grouping.

Note that summarize clears out whatever isn't mentioned in it, so the subsetting currently being done in the mean call could also be done in the pre-filter step and you can avoid filtering other columns and then discarding them by limiting the operations to only those columns that will be referenced:

tmp1 <- tmp %>%
   select( HCPCSCode, Avg_AllowByLimit, AllowByLimitFlag )
   filter( AllowByLimitFlag & Avg_AllowByLimit != 0 ) %>%
   group_by( HCPCSCode ) %>%
   summarise( Avg_AllowByLimit = mean( Avg_AllowByLimit ) )