[R] Help with R coding

Bill Poling B|||@Po||ng @end|ng |rom ze||@@com
Wed May 22 16:10:04 CEST 2019

Thank you Jeff!

WHP

From: Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil using dcn.davis.ca.us>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2019 10:06 AM
To: r-help using r-project.org; Rui Barradas <ruipbarradas using sapo.pt>; Bill Poling <Bill.Poling using zelis.com>; r-help (r-help using r-project.org) <r-help using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R] Help with R coding

Generally more efficient to filter before grouping.

Note that summarize clears out whatever isn't mentioned in it, so the subsetting currently being done in the mean call could also be done in the pre-filter step and you can avoid filtering other columns and then discarding them by limiting the operations to only those columns that will be referenced:

tmp1 <- tmp %>%
select( HCPCSCode, Avg_AllowByLimit, AllowByLimitFlag )
filter( AllowByLimitFlag & Avg_AllowByLimit != 0 ) %>%
group_by( HCPCSCode ) %>%
summarise( Avg_AllowByLimit = mean( Avg_AllowByLimit ) )