[R] Warning from installing packages in R3.6.1

Sat Sep 14 22:53:53 CEST 2019

On 14/09/2019 10:29 a.m., Steven Yen wrote:
> Since updating to R3.6.1., I have received a WARNING message saying
> Rtools is required.
> I get the same message installing online from CRAN and from a .zip file.
> It looked like installation still went through in both cases, BUT,
>
> Another student installed a .zip file and received the following error
> message:
>
> Error in install.packages : invalid multibyte string at `<87><55>...
>
> do I have to live with the message?
>
> I hate to tell students to install Rtools, which they do not do much with.
> Warning message is listed below. Thank you.
> ---
>
>   > Install.packages("aod")
> WARNING: Rtools is required to build R packages but it is not currently
> installed. Please download and install the appropriate version of Rtools
> before proceeding:
>
> Package 'aod' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked.

Did you really run "Install.packages", not "install.packages"?  R is
case sensitive, so those are different.  But in any case, that message
probably isn't coming from R, it is coming from some contributed package
or front end.

Posting the result of sessionInfo() would help us to diagnose where the
message is coming from.

Duncan Murdoch