[R] bi-directional bar chart with a central axis

David Winsemius dw|n@em|u@ @end|ng |rom comc@@t@net
Wed Sep 18 00:31:47 CEST 2019

On 9/17/19 3:14 PM, Sabatier, Jennifer F. (CDC/DDPHSIS/CGH/DGHP) via
R-help wrote:
> Hi R-help,
>
> I have this data:
>
> my.dta <-data.frame(matrix(c(
> 26.3,	21.4,
> 20.1,	13.4,
> 7.9,	3.9,
> 16.5,	14.6,
> 5.3,	3.6,
> 38.6,	25.6,
> 34.4,	21.6,
> 77.4,	79.5,
> 58.2,	56.1,
> 80.5,	84,
> 37.7,	31.9,
> 19.9,	28.1,
> 6.2,	5.9
> ), nrow=13, ncol=2, byrow=T,
> dimnames=list(c('A',	'B',	'C',	'D', 	'E',	'F',	'G',   'H',	'I',	'J',	'K',	'L',	'M'),
> c("Males", "Females"))
> ))
>
> I want to make a graph that looks like this:
>
> https://i1.wp.com/stephanieevergreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/backtoback11.jpg?resize=864%2C379&ssl=1

I suppose it helps to know that these are called "pyramid charts"
because of their common use in demographic circles for displaying
comparative population structures of men and women ("population pyramids").

https://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aorg.r-project.r-help+pyramid+chart

Also look in the plotrix package since I seem to remember that it has
one nicely documented and illustrated.

--

David.