[R] Removing a space from a string

Richard O'Keefe r@oknz @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 29 02:11:11 CEST 2020

The first response has to be "how did the spaces get there
in the first place?"  Can you fix the process that creates
the data?  If the process sometimes generates one extra
space, are you sure it never generates two?

But let's treat this purely as a regular expression
problem, where if there is a space before a dot you want
to delete the first.  In vi(1) you would do

but apparently there is *supposed* to be a space before
the 01, so it is only when there are two or more spaces
that one should be deleted, so we'd want

I leave converting that to R as an exercise for the reader.