[R] [FORGED] possible issue with scatterplot function in car package

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Sun May 3 01:51:51 CEST 2020

On 3/05/20 11:30 am, Yousri Fanous wrote:

> library (car)
>
>   aa <- data.frame(x=c(2,  5, 6, 7, 8),
> +  y=c(5,  10, 9, 12, 11),
> + ch=c("N",  "Q", "R", "S", "T"),
> + stringsAsFactors=FALSE)
>
> scatterplot(aa$x,aa$y,smooth = FALSE, grid = FALSE, frame = FALSE,regLine=F)
>
> Both x and y boxplots are correct
> and in particular the median of the x box is at 6 which is confirmed
>
>> median(aa$x)
> [1] 6
>
> Now I do only one addition to the scatterplot: I add xlim
>> scatterplot(aa$x,aa$y,smooth = FALSE, grid = FALSE, frame =
> FALSE,regLine=F,xlim=c(0,8))
>
> This causes the boxplot on x-axis to be in error:
> 1) the lower whisker starts now from zero
> 2) the median is between 4 and 6 and no longer at 6 as before
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 3.6.3 (2020-02-29)
>   [1] car_3.0-7

(1) Please present data using dput(); this makes life a lot easier for
your respondents.  (See posting guide.)

(2) Please do not post in html.  (See posting guide.)

(3) I agree that this looks like a bug.

(4) Email about issues like this should be sent to the maintainer of the
package in question (see maintainer("car")) and not to r-help.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Honorary Research Fellow