[R] A glitch (???) in tools::texi2pf.

Achim Zeileis Ach|m@Ze||e|@ @end|ng |rom u|bk@@c@@t
Sun Aug 29 23:23:15 CEST 2021

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021, Rolf Turner wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 12:49:04 +0300
> Eric Berger <ericjberger using gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As Achim wrote in point (2), Makefile is your friend.
>
> Well, all I can say is that Makefile is *not* my friend; I have never
> made its acquaintance and wouldn't know where to begin looking.
>
> Would it be possible for you to provide a template/prototype Makefile
> and give me some idea what to *do* with it?

In a Makefile you can declare "rules" for producing certain "target" files
from "prerequisite" files. The rules are only applied if any of the
prerequisite files have changed since the target was last produced.

In your case the .bib is a prerequisite for the target .bbl which in turn
is a prerequisite (along with the .tex) for the .pdf.

A nice introduction to GNU Make for data analysis workflows is this JSS
paper by Peter Baker (http://petebaker.id.au/):

https://doi.org/10.18637/jss.v094.c01

Best wishes,