[R] mixture univariate distributions fit

Fri Dec 31 18:57:20 CET 2021

Petr:
Please feel free to ignore and not reply if you think the following
questions are unhelpful.

1. Do you want to know the location of peaks (local modes) or the
parameters of the/a mixture distribution? Peaks do not have to be
located at the modes of the individual components of the mixture.

2. Do you know the number of components in the mixture? This would
simplify the problem (a lot, I believe; though those more
knowledgeable should comment on that).

3. Do you know that the points on the fitted density you get are
obtained as a mixture of normals? Or  at least of symmetric
distributions? ... or whether they are obtained by some sort of
(algorithmic) density estimation procedure?

Best and New Year's greeting to all,
Bert