[R] Troubles installing Rcmdr on Mac

Dr Eberhard W Lisse e| @end|ng |rom ||@@e@NA
Tue Jan 12 15:41:11 CET 2021

John,

maybe I misunderestimate the students :-)-O but there is not much
sophistication required to follow simple instructions while thinking
about what one is doing when doing so.  At least that was my generation
of students did.

If they can install XQuartz, they can install the command line tools.

And, it's not about RCmdr but about the source packages that you may
want to have to install for which the command line tools are required.

Finally, RStudio is so much easier and more powerful, that I wonder why
one is bothering with this including XQuartz.

greetings, el

On 12/01/2021 16:19, John Fox wrote:
> Dear Eberhard,
>
> On 2021-01-12 12:32 a.m., Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:
>> John,
>>
>> what is wrong with installing Xcode’s command lime tools (not Xcode
>> itself)?
>
> Nothing, and I did miss the distinction, but it shouldn't be
> necessary, and the instructions for installing the Rcmdr are already
> more complicated on macOS than on other platforms because of the
> necessity to install XQuartz.  Users should be able to install the
> Rcmdr package on macOS without having to install packages from source.
>
> Remember that Rcmdr users are typically students in basic statistics
> courses, many of whom have limited software sophistication.
> Unnecessarily complicating the installation is undesirable.  Of
> course, if it's necessary to complicate the installation, one has to
> live with that.
>
> I'll be interested to learn whether my suggestions solve the problem.
> If not, I can add an instruction concerning the Xcode tools to the
> Rcmdr installation notes for macOS.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>  John
[...]

--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse   \         /       Obstetrician & Gynaecologist
el using lisse.NA             / *      |  Telephone: +264 81 124 6733 (cell)