[R] Troubles installing Rcmdr on Mac

John Fox j|ox @end|ng |rom mcm@@ter@c@
Tue Jan 12 16:43:26 CET 2021

Dear Eberhard,

On 2021-01-12 9:41 a.m., Dr Eberhard W Lisse wrote:
> John,
>
> maybe I misunderestimate the students :-)-O but there is not much
> sophistication required to follow simple instructions while thinking
> about what one is doing when doing so.  At least that was my generation
> of students did.
>
> If they can install XQuartz, they can install the command line tools.

In my experience, mostly with social-science undergraduates and
graduate students, the more steps an installation requires, the more
likely students will encounter difficulties. Your students may well have
a different level of computer sophistication than mine did, but I know
that my experience isn't unique.

> And, it's not about RCmdr but about the source packages that you may
> want to have to install for which the command line tools are required.

Right. But all of the packages on which the Rcmdr package depends have
Mac binaries. As I confirmed yesterday, one can install the Rcmdr and
its dependencies on macOS without building any packages from source.

> Finally, RStudio is so much easier and more powerful, that I wonder why
> one is bothering with this including XQuartz.

Because I think you underestimate the obstacle that working at the
command line presents to students who often are already struggling to
learn basic statistical concepts. In my, and others', experience, it's
easier for students at this level to work with a statistical GUI than to
write commands. While working n RStudio or another IDE is undoubtedly
more powerful, for them it certainly isn't easier. Your teaching
experiences may be different.

Best,
  John