[R] How to estimate the parameter for many variable?

Fri Jul 9 08:38:00 CEST 2021

Hello,

The following lapply one-liner fits a GEV to each column vector, there
is no need for the double for loop. There's also no need to create a
data set x.

library(ismev)
library(mgcv)
library(EnvStats)

Ozone_weekly2 <- read.table("~/tmp/Ozone_weekly2.txt", header = TRUE)

# fit a GEV to each column
gev_fit_list <- lapply(Ozone_weekly2, gev.fit, show = FALSE)

# extract the parameters MLE estimates
mle_params <- t(sapply(gev_fit_list, '[[', 'mle'))

# assign column names
colnames(mle_params) <- c("location", "scale", "shape")

# see first few rows
head(mle_params)

The OP doesn't ask for plots but, here they go.

y_vals <- function(x, params){
   loc <- params[1]
   scale <- params[2]
   shape <- params[3]
   EnvStats::dgevd(x, loc, scale, shape)
}
plot_fit <- function(data, vec, verbose = FALSE){
   fit <- gev.fit(data[[vec]], show = verbose)
   x <- sort(data[[vec]])
   hist(x, freq = FALSE)
   lines(x, y_vals(x, params = fit$mle))
}

# seems a good fit
plot_fit(Ozone_weekly2, 1)       # column number
plot_fit(Ozone_weekly2, "CA01")  # col name, equivalent

# the data seems gaussian, not a good fit
plot_fit(Ozone_weekly2, 4)       # column number
plot_fit(Ozone_weekly2, "CA08")  # col name, equivalent

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas