[R] Identifying words from a list and code as 0 or 1 and words NOT on the list code as 1

Tue Jun 15 02:57:11 CEST 2021

I was not going to continue this thread, as you had Rui's presumed solution
in hand. But now that you have responded, I need to warn you that actually
my solution -- and perhaps Rui's -- may be incorrect, though you'll have to
check carefully to see if you also have the error. The problem stems from
this note in the regex man page:

"The symbol \b matches the empty string at either edge of a word, and \B
matches the empty string provided it is not at an edge of a word. (The
interpretation of ‘word’ depends on the locale and implementation: these
are all extensions.)."

This vague "interpretation" but is, of course, quite annoying, though
probably unavoidable given the vagaries of language."

The problem can be seen in this little example:

> gsub("\\bit\\b", "", c("it's a", "this is it"))
[1] "'s a"     "this is "

What's going on here, is that in *my particular implementation* (maybe not
yours or Rui's) of the regex engine, the apostrophe in "it's" is seen as a
word delineator, so the "it" in "it's" is removed, which is *not* what
needs to happen. Defining a word to be text that is preceded by either a
space or line beginning and followed by a space or line end, seems to fix
the problem:

> gsub("( |^)it( |$)", "", c("it's a", "this is it"))
[1] "it's a"  "this is"

But you'll need to **check this carefully** with good examples.

Here's how a slightly modified version with this correction of what I gave
you previously works on your example on my R setup (with an extra "Now
we're all done" added to test the "all done" core phrase):

> ut <- c(Utterance, "now we are all done") ## for testing
>
> out <- gsub(paste("( |^)",coreWords,"( |$)", sep = "", collapse = "|"),
+          "", ut)
> Core <- nchar(out) < nchar(ut)
> Fringe <-  grepl("[[:alpha:]]", out)
> Core
 [1]  TRUE FALSE  TRUE FALSE FALSE FALSE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE
 TRUE  TRUE
[14] FALSE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE
 TRUE FALSE
[27]  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE FALSE  TRUE
> Fringe
 [1]  TRUE  TRUE FALSE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE
 TRUE  TRUE
[14]  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE FALSE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE
 TRUE  TRUE
[27]  TRUE  TRUE FALSE  TRUE  TRUE  TRUE

Sorry for the confusion, but this sort of thing can be tricky. If Rui's
solution does not suffer these problems, it should be preferred.

Cheers,
Bert

Bert Gunter

sticking things into it."