[R] Warning messages while parallel computing

Bill Dunlap w||||@mwdun|@p @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Mar 4 19:20:32 CET 2021

The warnings come from the garbage collector, which may be called from
almost anywhere.  It is possible that the file that is sourced causes
the problem, but if you don't call parallel::stopCluster before
removing the cluster object you will get those warnings.

> cl <- parallel::makeCluster(3, type="PSOCK")
> invisible(gc())
> rm(cl)
> invisible(gc())
Warning messages:
1: In .Internal(gc(verbose, reset, full)) :
  closing unused connection 6 (<-Bill-T490:11216)
2: In .Internal(gc(verbose, reset, full)) :
  closing unused connection 5 (<-Bill-T490:11216)
3: In .Internal(gc(verbose, reset, full)) :
  closing unused connection 4 (<-Bill-T490:11216)

> cl <- parallel::makeCluster(3, type="PSOCK")
> invisible(gc())
> parallel::stopCluster(cl)
> invisible(gc())
> rm(cl)
> invisible(gc())

The fact that he got 8 warnings when playing a cluster of size 8 makes
me suspect that omitting stopCluster is the problem.

-Bill