[R] calculating area of ellipse

John Fox j|ox @end|ng |rom mcm@@ter@c@
Tue May 11 16:30:22 CEST 2021

Dear Stephen,

On 2021-05-11 10:20 a.m., Stephen Ellison wrote:
 >> In doing meta-analysis of diagnostic accuracy I produce ellipses of
confidence
 >> and prediction intervals in two dimensions.  How can I calculate the
area of
 >> the ellipse in ggplot2 or base R?
 >
 > There are established formulae for ellipse area, but I am curious: in
a 2-d ellipse with different quantities (eg coefficients for salary and
age) represented by the different dimensions, what does 'area' mean?

I answered James's question narrowly, but the point you raise is correct
-- the area isn't directly interpretable unless the coefficients are
measured in the same units.

It still may be possible to compare areas of ellipsoids for, say,
different regressions with the same predictors, as ratios, however,
since these ratios would be unaffected by rescaling the coefficients.
The generalization of this idea to ellipsoids of any dimension is the
basis for the generalized variance-inflation factors computed by the
vif() function in the car package.

Best,
  John

John Fox, Professor Emeritus