[R] GPL or not (was "(no subject)")

Wed Nov 10 11:35:21 CET 2021

    > Thanks for your answer. That is helpful even if that is disappointing
    > for me ;) I can see now that, as R (base and recommended packages) has
    > had contributions from a lot of people, it's not like a package, you
    > just can't have a punctual "okay do what you want". I'll have to stick
    > with a slow window call, I guess.

    > I was right to ask anyway, and thanks for your advices.

Rather you should think long and hard if and why you  really
really want to stick with a non-GPL licence for you package.
That is the real problem and a shame in my eyes!

R would almost surely never have grown big if the original authors,
Ross Ihaka and Robert Gentleman  hadn't decided to adopt the GNU Public
Licence (GPL)  very early ... and Ross & Robert said it was to a
large extent because I had insisted that this was important and
would potentially bring quite a few highly qualified people (all
from academia at the time) to adopt and contribute to R.

So, *not* using  GPL  for your package feels slightly as a slap
in the face of all the people who made R what it is today.

and just for those it is not obvious:
You *could* easily copy part of R code into your package if
you switched to use GPL -- of course still attributing these
parts a copyrighted by the R Core team.
Quite a few package maintainers have done so, e.g.,
testthat, actuar, pryr, vetr, DPQ, round, ... {I count about 80
CRAN packages}

Martin

--
Martin Maechler