[R] docker containers and R

Wed Oct 27 22:39:30 CEST 2021

Docker containers are built from some starting point defined using docker conventions. They have nothing to do with how you may have installed or configured R on your computer, other than perhaps what you learned but forgot about all that stuff. So the answer depends on what docker image you are starting from, and what the requirements are for your packages, but this list is about R, not docker, or docker images, or about specific contributed packages (see the Posting Guide).

Some packages have extensive dependencies, and you may need to explicitly install all of them in your build file to get it to work at all, much less in a minimal container size.