[R] splitting data matrix into submatrices

Avi Gross @v|gro@@ @end|ng |rom ver|zon@net
Wed Jan 5 18:52:18 CET 2022

Faheem seems to reply to people in private and I replid to him in private but seeing later messages, am giving a synopsis in public.
I too suggesed that using a data.frame is a better way to keep his data and use it for some purposes.
But my understanding is that his matrix is fairly easy to understand and can be indexed given the way it is set up.
Every row of the matrix has info for a single day, with each hour represented by one column. There is no date anywhere in sight or any visible index. But the collection was done starting on a Sunday and continuing without gaps so every seventh following row is a Sunday. So it is trivial to do what he asks using the %% operator to select all numbers between 1 and the number of rows in the matrix that have a remainder of either 0 (Saturdays) or 1 (Sundays) with something like this if the data is in mymat:
rows <- 1826weekends <- (rows %% 7 <= 1)satsun <- mymat[weekends,]
This basically indexes the matrix using a boolean vector. The result can be saved as a matrix of weekend data.
Getting the second matrix is as trivial as flipping the boolean vector.
workweek <- mymat[!weekends,]

-----Original Message-----
From: Faheem Jan <faheemjan93 using yahoo.com>
To: Avi Gross <avigross using verizon.net>
Sent: Tue, Jan 4, 2022 11:44 pm
Subject: Re: [R] splitting data matrix into submatrices

First I will thank you for your interest and time. As my first day is Sunday, in my data matrix 24 are hourly demand of electricity. As electricity demand is different is working and non-working days, so I want a separate analysis for working and nonworking days that's why I want to split the data matrix into submatrices. Can we use for looping which divides the matrix into submatrices?