[R] Cairo does not work on install of R 4.2.0 from source

Urs Kleinholdermann ur@ @end|ng |rom k|e|nho|derm@nn@de
Mon Jul 11 12:26:51 CEST 2022

Dear R community

I'm running R on Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 5.4.0-121-generic
x86_64). The standard install was R version 3.6.3 which I kept and where
all my graphics tasks work fine. Now, since I needed some packages which
don't work with this version of R, I installed R version 4.2.0 into /opt
from source using checkinstall. With this version of R graphics using
the normal "plot" command still get displayed, although with a different
font as in R 3.6.3 (more coarse and monotype-ish, I'd say). When I want
to save the plot using grDevices::savePlot however I get the folloing error:

Error in grDevices::savePlot("tmp.png") :
   can only copy from 'X11(type="*cairo")' devices

As I said, both versions of R are installed on the same machine, thus
the necessary libraries should be available, I think. Can someone point
me to the background of the problem?

Thanks a lot!

Urs