[R] Cook's distance for least absolute deviation (lad) regressions

John Fox j|ox @end|ng |rom mcm@@ter@c@
Mon Mar 21 15:30:23 CET 2022

Dear Kelly and Jim,

On 2022-03-20 9:40 p.m., Jim Lemon wrote:
> Hi Kelly,
> Perhaps the best place to look is the "car" package. There is a
> somewhat confusing reference in the "cookd" function help page to the
> "cooks.distance" function in the "base" package that doesn't seem to
> be there.  Whether this is the case or not, I think you can still use
> the "cookd" alias.

cookd() in the car package has been defunct for some time.

To address the original question: One can compute Cook's distances for
*any* regression model by brute-force, omitting each case i in turn and
computing the Wald F or chisquare test statistic for the "hypothesis"
that the deleted estimate of the regression coefficients b_{-i} is equal
to the estimate b for all of the data. In a linear model, D can be
computed much more efficiently based on the hatvalues, etc., without
having to refit the model n times, but that's not generally the case,
unless the model can be linearized (as for a GLM fit by IWLS).

I'm insufficiently familiar with the computational details of LAD
regression (or quantile regression more generally) to know whether a
more efficient computation is possible there, but unless the data set is
very large, in which case it's highly unlikely that influence of
individual cases is an issue, the brute-force approach should be
feasible and very easy to program.

I hope this helps,
  John

--