[R] Is there a canonical way to pronounce CRAN?

Achim Zeileis Ach|m@Ze||e|@ @end|ng |rom u|bk@@c@@t
Wed May 4 17:56:43 CEST 2022

My personal impression is that in the early days of CRAN the pronouncation
as in "C-Ran" was more common but this has shifted towards "Cran" over the
years.

CRAN was named in the same style as CPAN for Perl and CTAN for TeX (as
others have pointed out in this thread already). Many R users and
developers were also active in other free software communities and were
familiar with CPAN and CTAN as well. Hence "C-Ran" was natural.

But because - unlike the other abbreviations - CRAN can be pronounced as
"Cran" it was attractive for wordplays like Cranberries
(https://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/cranberries/), Crantastic
(https://github.com/hadley/crantastic), fortunes::fortune("Yes we CRAN!"),
etc. Also, I would guess that the vast majority of today's R users (and
possibly also developers) is not familiar with CPAN or CTAN anymore. Hence
"Cran" is more natural for most of them.

And given that even the founders of CRAN sometimes pronounce it in one and
sometimes in the other way, I think it is fair to use both pronouncations.

Best wishes,
Achim