[R] Restoration of "rite" package of R as R-script editor or the like

Ebert,Timothy Aaron tebert @end|ng |rom u||@edu
Mon May 23 13:27:15 CEST 2022

Would you reconsider RStudio? If this is a person's first experience with a computer or cell phone then RStudio is a bit much. Relative to using a browser, MSWord, Excel, or many of the modern video games RStudio is simple. I have seen beginning R courses start at the level of print("Hello World") in RStudio.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: R-help <r-help-bounces using r-project.org> On Behalf Of PIKAL Petr
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2022 3:14 AM
To: Akhilesh Singh <akhileshsingh.igkv using gmail.com>; r-help mailing list <r-help using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R] Restoration of "rite" package of R as R-script editor or the like

[External Email]

Hallo.

What about Tinn R
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__tinn-2Dr.org_en_&d=DwICAg&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=9PEhQh2kVeAsRzsn7AkP-g&m=77JOiaooyKryeIksEwQVRP5LH9Y_sQB2KcKpYzX0bBecHpu80PU7XIAsezOdeLgR&s=2UY_KBGDpwluIcSpraHEl1kBES9jOiBRk9R7_8FDfj8&e=

It has syntax highlighting and you can easily send your whole code or its part to R from it.

Cheers
Petr

like

> Dear Sir,
>
> I am a professor at Indira Gandhi Agricultural University, Raipur,
> Chhattisgarh, India. I have been teaching statistics in my department
since
> 1986.
>
> Almost since the last 10 years, I have included R capabilities in
> doing practical-classes of various statistics courses in my
> department. I use
the
> default R-script editor that comes with RGUI.exe for that purpose.
> *But,
this
> text editor is too simple without syntax highlighting etc. And RStudio
> is
too
> heavy for the UG/PG level students who are basically from agriculture
> stream.*
>
> Meanwhile, I came across a "rite" package which was earlier maintained
> by Thomas J. Leeper <thosjleeper using gmail.com>. Now, it has been put into
> archives and not being maintained by anyone.
>
> At present, I am using the "rite" package for students' practical classes.
> But, I am facing difficulties using it. Sometimes, it hangs
> unnecessarily,
and
> some of its features do not work, probably because it is not being
> maintained anymore by CRAN.
>
> Therefore, to remove this difficulty, the "rite" package must be
maintained.

> Sir, "rite" package is a very light weight editor for R codes suitable
> for teaching to beginner students, with syntax highlighting facility
> and with
the
> facility of generating reports into HTML, markdown etc.
>
> Therefore, I request you ,*one and all who are in control, to kindly
> make
sure
> to include the "rite" package into the regular packages with proper
> maintenance, which will immensely help the beginner students to learn R*.
>
> Or,
>
> Kindly make sure that the *default R-script-editor gets the syntax
highlighting
> features and capability of creating basic reports*.
>
> Or,
>
> Kindly make a lighter version of RStudio *for beginner student-level
> only,
like
> the "rite" package,*  for executing R-scripts and for generating some
basic
> reports.
>
> *In fact, the lack of a proper R-script editor is a major handicap
> among
the
> beginner students to learn R.*
>
> Therefore, I earnestly request your kind attention to this problem.
>
> Thaing you.
>

> Dr. A.K. Singh
> Professor and Ex-Head (Agricultural Statistics) Department of
> Agricultural Statistics and Social Science (L) Indira Gandhi Krishi
> Vishwavidyalaya,
Raipur-