[R] Restoration of "rite" package of R as R-script editor or the like

J C Nash pro|jcn@@h @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon May 23 15:31:42 CEST 2022

I will echo sentiments expressed by some others that open source means
"if you want it badly, then do it". But I'll add that complaining about
the maintainer is often misplaced. Many of us are retired and in
our 70s. Thus there is the natural and significant risk that we can
disappear from the R community, even if we would like to stay and help.
In this case, I suspect it is more that the maintainer has got other
priorities, and, as others have noted, there are many, many tools for
editing in R. I looked at the latest "rite" tarball, and the code is
substantial -- probably not worth the effort. The benefits of Rstudio
do, I feel, outweigh the learning costs, especially in the way Rmarkdown
can be used to generate very clean documents easily. And Rstudio has a
large team to maintain it. I even use Rstudio to write non-R material where
I want quick and tidy output.

Do get involved if you can, and encourage students as well. I have been
mentoring students in India and Indonesia in the last 4 years in the
Google Summer of Code initiative. Contributors (formerly students, but that
is no longer required) get paid by Google, and the level of payment is,
according to those who I mentored, attractive enought. If the "rite"
package has useful features that could be rendered more maintainable,
it could be an excellent candidate for the 2023 competition, and now is
  the time to start planning that so that the proposals and candidates
are strong.

John Nash