[R] How to set default encoding for sourced files

Andrew Hart @h@rt @end|ng |rom d|m@uch||e@c|
Fri Sep 23 16:01:12 CEST 2022

Thanks. The --encoding option indeed makes it all work. Rscript --help
does not show the --encoding option in the list of options.

And yes, you are right. I was using R 4.1.2 when I first wrote to the
list. I was experiencing a technical  issue with R 4.2.1 which was
preventing me from switching over to it but I have a satisfactory
solution to the problem now and have just moved to R 4.2.1. It seems
that, on Windows at least, R 4.2.1 does indeed use utf-8 as its native
encoding. I didn't realise this. At any rate, it looks like merely
upgrading solves my encoding concerns without the need to set options or
specify the encoding with Rscript. Very nice and kudos to the R
developers for taking the leap!

Thanks everyone for your help.

Cheers,
Andrew.