[R] Why R >= 4.1 warns about installing Rtools on Windows?

Samuel Granjeaud @@mue|@gr@nje@ud @end|ng |rom |n@erm@|r
Wed Sep 28 13:11:36 CEST 2022

Hi,

Martin M. helped me focussing the context of my question.  The main
result of my trials (various R4.x installations) after his mail is that
the warning is issued when using *devtools* to install a package *from
github*. When installing a package with install.packages(), no warning.

The warning looks like:

devtools::install_github("i-cyto/cytoBatchNorm")
WARNING: Rtools is required to build R packages, but no version of
Rtools compatible with R 4.2.1 was found. (Only the following
incompatible version(s) of Rtools were found: 4.0)
Please download and install Rtools 4.2 from
https://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/Rtools/ or
https://www.r-project.org/nosvn/winutf8/ucrt3/.
Downloading GitHub repo i-cyto/cytoBatchNorm using HEAD

I don't think there is a need of Rtools. Let me know if you think there
is a need of Rtools being installed prior to installing a pure R
package. From your answers, I may contact the maintainer of devtools.

Thanks for reading.

Bonne journée,
Samuel