[R] Extracting data using subset function

Upananda Pani up@n@nd@@p@n| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Feb 5 21:16:00 CET 2023

Hi Rolf,

Thank you so much. I was just curious to know that. I am glad that i got
the input from all of you.

I am grateful to you  for clarifying.

With sincere gratitude,
Upananda

On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 1:29 AM Rolf Turner <r.turner using auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Feb 2023 19:37:03 +0530
> Upananda Pani <upananda.pani using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I want to create a vector p and extract first 20 observations using
> > subset function based on logical condition.
> >
> > My code is below
> >
> > p <- 0:100
> >
> > I know i can extract the first 20 observations using the following
> > command.
> >
> > q <- p[1:20]
> >
> > But I want to extract the first 20 observations using subset function
> > which requires a logical condition. I am not able to frame the
> > logical condition.
> >
> > The code should be
> >
> > q <- subset(p, logical condition)
> >
> > I am not able to do it. Please let me know what you think.
>
> I think that you are manufacturing an unnecessary difficulty.  If you
> want the first 20 entries of p, use p[1:20]!!!
>
> However, if you obdurately *insist* on using subset() you could do
>
>     subset(p,(1:length(p)) <= 20)
>
> This works, but makes a mountain out of a molehill.
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner
>
> --
> Honorary Research Fellow
> Department of Statistics
> University of Auckland
> Stats. Dep't. phone: +64-9-373-7599 ext. 89622
> Home phone: +64-9-480-4619

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]