[R] Extracting data using subset function

Jim Lemon drj|m|emon @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Feb 5 22:17:58 CET 2023

Hi Upananda,
As a couple of respondents noted, you only need the logical statement,
not subset().

You did "frame the logical condition" in your example, for if you use
the extraction operator "[" this will work:
subset(p,(1:length(p)) <= 20)
as Jeff already pointed out. Obviously it is easier to write:
p[(1:length(p)) <= 20]

Let's say you want to select the odd numbers in p:
p<-1:10
as.logical(p%%2)
[1]  TRUE FALSE  TRUE FALSE  TRUE FALSE  TRUE FALSE  TRUE FALSE
p[as.logical(p%%2)]
[1] 1 3 5 7 9
The as.logical() has to be included as the extractor function tries
use integers as indices

So the problem is really to reduce your selection criteria to a vector
of TRUER/FALSE values.

Jim