[R] Is it possible to get a downward pointing solid triangle plotting symbol in R?

Chris Evans chr|@ho|d @end|ng |rom p@yctc@org
Fri Oct 6 14:21:55 CEST 2023

Thanks again Jan.  That is lovely and clean and I probably should have
seen that option.

I had anxieties about the portability of using text.  (The function will
end up in my
https://github.com/cpsyctc/CECPfuns package so I'd like it to be fairly
immune to character
sets and different platforms in different countries.

I'm morphing this question a lot now but I guess it's still on topic
really.  I know
I need to put in some time to understand the complexities of R and
platforms (I'm
pretty exclusively on Linux, Ubuntu or Debian now so have mostly done
the ostrich thing
about these issues though I do hit problems exchanging things with my
Spanish speaking
colleagues).  Jan or anyone: any simple reassurance or pointers to
resources I should
best use for homework about these issues?

TIA (again!)

Chris

On 06/10/2023 12:55, Jan van der Laan wrote:
> You are right, sorry.
>
> Another possible solution then: use geom_text instead of geom_point
> and use a triangle shape as text:
>
> ggplot(data = tmpTibPoints,
>        aes(x = x, y = y)) +
>   geom_polygon(data = tmpTibAreas,
>                aes(x = x, y = y, fill = a)) +
>   geom_text(data = tmpTibPoints,
>              aes(x = x, y = y, label = "▼", color = c),
>              size = 6) + guides(color = FALSE)

[much snipped]

--
Chris Evans (he/him)
Visiting Professor, UDLA, Quito, Ecuador & Honorary Professor,