[BioC] Re: offer from I Neuhaus to create a BMS response; keep in core, please

Isaac Neuhaus isaac.neuhaus at bms.com
Tue Jul 1 11:03:05 MEST 2003

Todd Richmond wrote:

> [...]
Am I missing something? Do they want to patent their own CEL format?
(sorry just being facetious)

>I can't imagine that a binary
>format is going to make life easier for anyone. If they are concerned about
>size, there are standard compression libraries that you can use to
>compress/uncompress your data files on-the-fly as you save/load.

I disagree. A binary file could facilitate getting chunks of data using
random access without having to go through the whole file. For example,
you can imagine at some point creating you own 'probe sets' with
features that are different than those mapped by Affy. However the
structure of the file MUST be publicly available.