[BioC] normalization and analysis of connected designs

Ramon Diaz rdiaz at cnio.es
Tue Jul 1 19:27:57 MEST 2003

Dear All,

Suppose we have an experiment with cDNA microarrays with the structure:

A -> B -> C -> D

(i.e., A and B hybridized in the same array, A with Cy3, B with Cy5; B and C
in the same array, with B with Cy3, etc).

In this design, and if we use log_2(R/G), testing A == D is straightforward
since A and D are connected and we can express D - A as the sum of the log
ratios in the three arrays.

But suppose we use some non-linear normalization of the data, such as loess as
in Yang et al. 2002 (package marrayNorm) or the variance stabilization method
of Huber et al., 2002 (package vsn).  Now, the values we have after the
normalization are no longer log_2(R/G) but something else (that changes with,
e.g., log_2(R*G)).  Doesn't this preclude the simple "just add the ratios"?
Is there something obvious I am missing?

Thanks,

Ramón

--
Ramón Díaz-Uriarte