[BioC] normalization and analysis of connected designs

Gordon Smyth smyth at wehi.edu.au
Wed Jul 2 11:45:01 MEST 2003

At 02:27 AM 2/07/2003, Ramon Diaz wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>Suppose we have an experiment with cDNA microarrays with the structure:
>
>A -> B -> C -> D
>
>(i.e., A and B hybridized in the same array, A with Cy3, B with Cy5; B and C
>in the same array, with B with Cy3, etc).
>
>In this design, and if we use log_2(R/G), testing A == D is straightforward
>since A and D are connected and we can express D - A as the sum of the log
>ratios in the three arrays.
>
>But suppose we use some non-linear normalization of the data, such as
>loess as
>in Yang et al. 2002 (package marrayNorm) or the variance stabilization method
>of Huber et al., 2002 (package vsn).  Now, the values we have after the
>normalization are no longer log_2(R/G) but something else (that changes with,
>e.g., log_2(R*G)).  Doesn't this preclude the simple "just add the ratios"?
>Is there something obvious I am missing?

Yes, you have misunderstood the point of the normalization step, which is
to bring the log-ratios back to the scale on which the log-ratios have the
expected linear relationships. If the log-ratios already obeyed the
relationships such as D-A = AB+BC+CD straight off the arrays then we
wouldn't normalize!

Gordon