[BioC] how to separate probe numbers from AffyIDs?

Rafael A. Irizarry ririzarr at jhsph.edu
Tue Jul 15 13:43:33 MEST 2003

the probeNames method gives you the probeNames in the same ordering as the
pm method (if you use the default cdfenvironments). within a probe set
the pms are ordered by probe number (position along the transcript).
probeNames has an "mm" argument that if made TRUE does the same for the
MM probes.

example:
library(affydata)
data(Dilution)
pms <- pm(Dilution)
pmnames <- probeNames(Dilution)

you dont have to save the numbers because they are already ordered. for
exmaple, for probe "1001_at", you can see a table of the values you want
by doing the equivelant in SAS to:

Index <- which(pmnames=="1001_at")
data.frame(pm=pms[Index],names=pmnames[Index],number=seq(along=Index))