[BioC] R Hangs

michael watson (IAH-C) michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk
Fri Jul 18 11:59:12 MEST 2003

Hi

I am running R 1.7.1 on Windows XP.

I start up with RGui.exe --internet2 so that it picks up my IE proxy settings

I type:

source("http://www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R")
getBioC()

and the installation begins.

It downloads reposTools and starts to install it.

I get the message:
[1] "Installing reposTools ..."
Creating a new generic function for "summary" in package reposTools

and then R just hangs... I get a "Not Responding" message in Windows Task Manager and it stays this way for a very long time until I have to stop the process.

So I tried a different way - download ALL of Bioconductor from the website.  However, this only comes as a .tar.gz file and I don't know how to install a .tar.gz file to the windows version of R, as this version normally takes .zip files.

SO apart from individually downloading ALL packages seperately, how do I get all of Bioconductor on R for Windows???

Thanks

Michael Watson
Head of Informatics
Institute for Animal Health,