[BioC] R Hangs

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Jul 22 13:24:50 MEST 2003

If you have to install packages individually, go to the Bioconductor
website, then click on either Release packages or Developmental packages
in the left hand frame.

This will open up a listing of all the packages. If you click on the
ones you want, there will be links for the Win32 version. Download
whichever ones you want and then install using 'Install from local zip
file...'.

HTH,

Jim

James W. MacDonald
Affymetrix and cDNA Microarray Core
University of Michigan Cancer Center
1500 E. Medical Center Drive
7410 CCGC
Ann Arbor MI 48109
734-647-5623

>>> "michael watson (IAH-C)" <michael.watson at bbsrc.ac.uk> 07/18/03
05:59AM >>>
Hi

I am running R 1.7.1 on Windows XP.

I start up with RGui.exe --internet2 so that it picks up my IE proxy
settings

I type:

source("http://www.bioconductor.org/getBioC.R")
getBioC()

and the installation begins.

It downloads reposTools and starts to install it.

I get the message:
[1] "Installing reposTools ..."
Creating a new generic function for "summary" in package reposTools

and then R just hangs... I get a "Not Responding" message in Windows
Task Manager and it stays this way for a very long time until I have to
stop the process.

So I tried a different way - download ALL of Bioconductor from the
website.  However, this only comes as a .tar.gz file and I don't know
how to install a .tar.gz file to the windows version of R, as this
version normally takes .zip files.

SO apart from individually downloading ALL packages seperately, how do
I get all of Bioconductor on R for Windows???

Thanks

Michael Watson
Head of Informatics
Institute for Animal Health,