[BioC] contributing to Bioconductor

Wilkinson, Mark Mark.Wilkinson at stjude.org
Thu Mar 13 10:10:36 MET 2003

A few weeks ago there was some talk about a 'heatmap' function that would
plot a heat map with two dendrograms to show clustering (after hclust).  I
mentioned then that I had been cooking something up.  I feel like it's ready
to give to the community to use, test, break, etc.  Which leads me to my
question: How does one go about contributing a function like this, whose
singular purpose doesn't warrant a package of its own?  Some packages of
Bioconductor seem like they might accommodate it now or in the future, such
as geneplotter, genecluster (dev).  Should I email the maintainers of those
packages and try to convince them to wedge in my little function?  Any
advice?

Thanks,

Mark Wilkinson
Informatics Analyst
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences

The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.