[BioC] HTTP POST in R, Unigene

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Fri May 2 18:12:52 MEST 2003

Hi,

I am interested in performing an HTTP POST from within R, in
order to perform a non-interactive search on a database
normally accessed via a website interface such as
Unigene:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=unigene

In the source code for the ll.htmlpage function in the annotate
package I can see how an HTTP GET is performed - with a
question mark after the URL.

But what if I want to immitate the following curl command (done
at the unix command-line) in R?  Note that the -d option stands
for "data" which is used in the HTTP POST.

curl -d term=NIA15k%20H31 -o UniGeneResults.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=unigene

Can anyone tell me what R function I should be using, (if there
is an appropriate one)?

Regards,
James

James Wettenhall                                  Tel: (+61 3) 9345 2629
Division of Genetics and Bioinformatics           Fax: (+61 3) 9347 0852
The Walter & Eliza Hall Institute         E-mail: wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
 of Medical Research,                     Mobile: (+61 / 0 ) 438 527 921
1G Royal Parade,
Parkville, Vic 3050, Australia
http://www.wehi.edu.au