[BioC] Installing bioconductor under MacOsx

Byron Ellis bellis at hsph.harvard.edu
Sat May 3 01:04:38 MEST 2003

As others have said, you don't have write access.... Set your R_LIBS in
your .tcshrc (or .bash_profile if you're a bash user). I like
setenv R_LIBS /Users/<username>/Library/R

using bash:
export R_LIBS=/Users/<username>/Library/R

This puts user installed packages (including Bioconductor---it works
fine on my iBook) in ~/Library/R rather than trying to use the system
repository. If you want to make the packages available to all users you
might want to consider using /Users/Shared/R or something like that
instead.

You should make sure to mkdir ~/Library/R before you try it though :-)

You can also create a file ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist which is a
standard plist (search macosxhints.com for the format if you like... or
use the PList editor that comes with the Developer Tools) that makes
the environment variables available to _ALL_ OS X applications (after
logging in and out of course). This is useful if, say, you were going
to use StatPaper and wanted to have a custom R package location.

Hope that Helps,