[BioC] clustering of genes

w.huber at dkfz-heidelberg.de w.huber at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Fri May 16 15:06:07 MEST 2003

Hi Gordon,

here some methods that I have sometimes found useful for visualization:

- the function heatmap() in package:mva (together with
package:RColorBrewer and package:geneplotter::colorRamp)
- Correspondence Analysis - package:MASS::corresp
- Multidimensional Scaling - package::mva::cmdscale

I am not aware of universally optimal recommendations on which metric or
variable scaling to use, so you'll probably need to try.

For clustering the TFs, the class discovery package "isis" by Anja von
Heydebreck could be useful [1].

And rather than completely unsupervised clustering, it may also be
fruitful to define a "query profiles" and then look for genes that are
close to these. Useful query profiles could be ones that are only "up" for
a single TF, or for a pair of TFs, etc.

Best  -

  Wolfgang

[1] http://www.molgen.mpg.de/~heydebre/software.html