[BioC] Heatdiagram

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Mon Jun 14 18:03:36 CEST 2004

Hi Binita,

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Binita Dutta wrote:
> I have done analysis by limma package but finally when i want to plot
> heatdiagram, all clones which are differenetially expressed are labeled on
> Y axis (which makes it impossible to read the label), where as i am

I'm not so familiar with the new heatDiagram function in limma,
but in the old heatdiagram function (lower case 'd') (still
available in limma), you can specify critical.primary and
critical.other.  Choosing higher values for these will limit the
number of genes displayed in your heatdiagram.  Have a look at
the help for heatdiagram:
?heatdiagram

The first argument to heatdiagram could be your
matrix of (moderated) t statistics (i.e. fit$t, after
running eBayes on fit).  Then critical.primary and
critical.other would be (moderated) t statistic values.
Remember that the heatdiagram is plotted relative to one
"primary" contrast.  For this contrast the colors should appear
in order from green to red (or the other way around, depending
on how you look at the diagram).  This should help you to
understand the difference between the two t statistic
threshold values: critical.primary and critical.other.

So for example, you could try increasing critical.primary from
the default value of 4 to 10 and increase critical.other from 3
to 8.  To get an idea of how much to increase them in your case,
have a look at the "t" column in your toptable.

Hope this helps,
James