[BioC] Installing Packages from Bioconductor: Error

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Nov 30 15:58:03 CET 2004

Eric.Grund at serono.com wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
>
> I am a R and Bioconductor novice.  On the R GUI when under packages I
> click "install packages from bioconductor" I get this message:
>

>>local({a<- CRAN.packages(CRAN=getOption("BIOC"))
>
> + install.packages(select.list(a[,1],,TRUE), .libPaths()[1], available=a,
> CRAN=getOption("BIOC"), dependencies=TRUE)})
> trying URL `http://www.bioconductor.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/PACKAGES'
> Error in download.file(url = paste(contriburl, "PACKAGES", sep = "/"),  :
>         cannot open URL
> `http://www.bioconductor.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.0/PACKAGES'
> In addition: Warning message:
> unable to connect to 'www.bioconductor.org' on port 80.
>

> Any suggestions are appreciated?  Thanks.  Eric.

Most questions like this can be answered quite easily by looking at
either the Bioconductor website or by looking at the R FAQ. For
instance, on the main BioC page, there is a link "Instructions on
installing Bioconductor 1.5". If you follow that link, you will see the
instructions as well as some further notes about people having troubles
downloading the packages, along with a link to the R FAQ that covers
this problem:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/rw-FAQ.html#The-internet-download-functions-fail_002e

One of the best things you can do as a novice is to check the FAQ and/or
mailing lists first when you have problems. R has a steep learning
curve, and the more you read, the less steep it will be.

Best,

Jim