[BioC] add a gene symbol colums in an exprSet or a matrix / infinite recursion error message

Robert Gentleman rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 4 13:09:08 CEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 11:40:25AM +0200, Florence Combes wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I actually encounter an error message in relation with infinite recursion
> when I try to call the write.table() function for a matrix of 288 columns
> (288 hgu133a arrays ).
> The error message is:
>
> Error: evaluation nested too deeply: infinite recursion /
> options(expression=)?
>
> I searched the email archives and I found that I could use the command:
>
> options(expressions=10000)
>
> to solve this problem but it does not change anything. So I would like to
> know if I have to increase to 20000 or more in the above line ?
> Has someone already encountered same problem ???

  It looks like you may not have done what you intended to do. Can you
  show us a small working example (perhaps using the test data set,
  eset, that comes with Biobase), it is pretty hard to tell otherwise.

  Robert

> My goal is to add a column which includes the genesymbol before exporting
> the data with write.table(). I do this with the functions
> getSYMBOL
> and
> cbind() to add the column at the expreSet I previously transformed in a
> matrix object.
>
> If someone  know how to do that in another way which would allow me not to
> encounter the error message above, please tell me....
>
> Any help kindly accepted.....
>
> thanks a lot,
>
> Florence.

| Robert Gentleman                 phone : (617) 632-5250                   |
| Associate Professor              fax:   (617)  632-2444                   |
| Department of Biostatistics      office: M1B20                            |
| Harvard School of Public Health  email: rgentlem at jimmy.harvard.edu        |