[BioC] Mac binaries

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.EDU.AU
Thu Jan 20 03:13:27 CET 2005

Hi Byron and others,

> If they're using the R GUI the Bioconductor Binary packages should be
> available directly from the "Package Installer..." sheet since AFAIK
> Stefano builds them along with the other CRAN packages. I'd check, but
> unfortunately my R GUI crashes (its a -devel branch version) when I try
> to get the list of packages.

That sounds perfect.  Can anyone confirm this?  The reason I questioned
whether Mac binaries existed is that if you click on "Release 1.5
Packages" link from the main Bioconductor website, you only get Win32 and
Source.

> In any case, you shouldn't need to get admin rights to install packages
> on OS X once the Developer Tools are installed.

My users are probably not interested in the Developer Tools unless they
are absolutely necessary.  I've heard they take a while to install.

The reason I mentioned admin privileges is because I seem to remember that
at one stage, there was a massive R installer for Mac which installed lots
of CRAN and Bioconductor packages.  As my biologist client already has R
installed, I would prefer not to have to ask their I.T. adminstrator to
reinstall R (in order to get a few missing packages).  I can easily
install R packages for them (in a suitable directory) without admin
privileges, as long as binaries are available somewhere.

Thanks,
James