[BioC] Mac binaries

stefano iacus stefano.iacus at unimi.it
Thu Jan 20 10:09:43 CET 2005

Well, let me shed some light on this.
There is one "official" binary version of R for Mac OS X which is
available only on CRAN under /bin/macos
This comes with an installer that only install R itself,
base+recommended packages and a GUI front end to R. Call this version
1.
There is also Jan de Leeuw build of R for Mac OS X which (which is
prefectly ok) that installs R+almost all CRAN packages and all BioC
packages (I'm not sure about all BioC). Call this version 2.

On CRAN there is also a set of prebuilt CRAN packages for Mac OS X.
These are guarantee to work with 1., and they are all packages which
pass all the checks previewed by R tools to assess the quality of a
binary build (this is platform dependent)

Most of the BioC 1.5 packages are also distributed in binary form on
the BioC web site (http://www.bioconductor.org/bin/macosx/2.0/ ).

Both kind of binary packages are accessible for download and install
via the GUI front-end distributed with 1. Specifically to BioC: with 1.
also comes the installer of the X11/TclTk libraries. You need to
install this to use tcltk widgets, which are widly used in BioC.

There is NO NEED to install developer tools to use 1. + the prebuilt
packages. Developer tools, which means C compiler and other things, ARE
NEEDED only if one wants to build packages from source (this could
happen for some packages that can be built on Mac OS X but are not
distributed as binary by us, as they don't pass all the test)

The installation of 1. needs admin priviledges, but after that packages
can be installed locally on a per user basis.

BTW: please always use the latest R official release.

There is also a "R for Mac OS X FAQ" available that explains several of
these aspects.
stefano