[BioC] Fold Change values after RMA

Ben Bolstad bmb at bmbolstad.com
Wed Feb 15 19:15:34 CET 2006

Two points:

1. In general estimates of FC off microarrays tend to be smaller than
the truth, irrespective of processing algorithm.

2. There is no specific reason why RMA should limit to FC values of 2.0
(and it does not do this in general, as you have observed with your own
dataset).

In the case of Choudary et al they are studying gene expression changes
in the brain and my understanding is that these fold changes are
typically small, perhaps explaining the comment.

Ben