[BioC] Help with very old CEL files

Jeremy Davis-Turak jeremydt at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 19:51:14 CEST 2007

Hi BioC guys,

I'm having trouble opening some CEL files from an old project on the
RG_U34A chip.  When I try to use ReadAffy, I get this error:

Error in read.affybatch(filenames = l$filenames, phenoData = l$phenoData,  :
        Is ***01_N1.CEL really a CEL file? tried reading as text,
gzipped text and binary

Also, the file does not open as a text file (so it's probably binary).
 I tried using Affy's Cell File Conversion Tool to convert from
'Version 4' to 'Version 3', but it can't open the files (and they're
not read-only, which is a common mistake with that tool).

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.  Thanks very much,

Jeremy