[BioC] Running Pumacomb on both cores of dual-core machine

Richard Pearson richard.pearson at postgrad.manchester.ac.uk
Thu Feb 28 18:46:05 CET 2008

Hi Atro

The parallel functionality of pumaComb was really developed in order to
run the function much more quickly on large clusters. I wanted this to
be as generic as possible, which is why I've made use of the
functionality from the snow package (this means, for example, the
function can be run utilising either MPI or a simple network of
workstations connected via socket connections). When testing this on my
laptop I realised the function could be sped up by running on a simple
2-node network on the same machine, so thought I'd include some
instructions for how to do this in the vignette. I'm sure there are far
better solutions to maximising the speed on a single machine (e.g. your
suggestion of simply starting another process in the same session, or
the suggestion from Martin Morgan on this thread), which I hope to chase
up when I get the time.

Best wishes

Richard.